SBY 12 - 10 Days - West Sumatra Gastroventure
Program Details & Highlights
Market Trip, Cooking Class Session, Traditional Minangkabau cuisine, Special Beverages, Local Appetizers and Desserts, Local Producers, Combination of tourist and local public transportation.
A small group of cultural gastronomy adventure and Mini Ethno photography Journey in the land of world’s largest matrilineal society in order to know their culture about food and beverage. An aspect to introduce and maintain world unique gastronomy culture from this journey and photography.
A combination of a lot of authentic life experiences, beautiful natural landscape, different cultures, mutual respect, peace and friendship making it a memorable holiday.
10 Days - West Sumatra Gastroventure;
A Cultural aspect of Minangkabau Cuisine
This is a combination of Gastronomy & Mini Ethno Photography journey in West Sumatra, an Indonesian province on the west coast of the island of Sumatra. Minangkabau, an ethnic group, is formed with a matrilineal culture in the way of living and well-known as world’s largest matrilineal society. Minangkabau food, more known as “Padang food” generally found all over Indonesia is a favorite culinary destination. Nowadays in some countries one of its dishes ‘RENDANG” has been declared by international surveys as the world’s most delicious food. Let’s culturally discover what is behind the food and beverage recipe or cuisine of “Padang Food”. Some of them will be learned in cooking classes and the other will be tasted through this amazing trip. It will be based on your gastronomy disposition and will make this mini ethno photography journey as your amazing holiday.
Day by Day SBY 12 - 10 Days - West Sumatra Gastroventure
Day 1: Selamat Datang-Arrival at Minangkabau International Airport (D)
Welcome in Minangkabau International Airport, Padang. Meet & greet, drive 2,5 hours to the highland of West Sumatra. Check in at comfortable hotel in Bukittinggi. Free program to release your “lag”, the hotel has a nice view lounge and exciting pool or you could enjoy our traditional massage. Short walk also possible as the hotel is only 100 m from local bursting market. Hotel Dinner. Greeting by our host who already operated “Nasi Kapau” outlet for more than 35 years.
Day 2: Local Market, Culture and Beautiful Nature (BLD)
Today we will do a local market walk, find spices, seasoning or ingredients, and learn how to cook from the outlet workers. Enjoy the local transportation to the place of the host. Lunch will be provided at host outlet where you’ll enjoy at the same time the atmosphere of some food outlets in local food court at midday. Walking to Sianok Canyon Panoramic Park, a stunning nature phenomenon created by primeval volcano. In early afternoon we’ll visit Koto Gadang, a village where the historical silversmith work and embroidery still using handmade methods with old technique and style of working. After dinner at hotel, we will have short walk to trace 18th century buildings as well as enjoy the charmed night of Bukittinggi.
Day 3: Organic Luwak Coffee Production & Countryside (BLD)
A little bit earlier will drive to a village where we find a trace of Sir Stamford Raffless Botanical Research in Sumatra. We’ll take a walk around the village and meet our host who produces organic “coffee luwak”. It is coincidentally a way of brewing coffee. In Dutch Colonial era native farmers and plantation workers are forbidden from harvesting coffee for their own use. Discover how limited our host coffee production is as she still keeps producing it in a culturally organic way without forcing “Luwak” (Civet Cat) to eat the beans. Here, experience the complete “Luwak Coffee” production process as well as fun spa coffee. (If you are lucky, there is a possibility to see the blooming Rafflessia Arnoldii or Amorphollus blooming in the forest around, we’ll see it if the trek is not more than 2,5 hours away and back). Host will provide us a village local food for lunch. About 10 Km from here, we’ll then do a village tour to explore a pretty view in the slope of Mt. Merapi, where we will discover about daily life (farming, plantation, local garment, etc), historical buildings, and cultural influence in architecture. Dinner.
Day 4: Minangkabau Snacks and Eco-Craft Product (BLD)
Payakumbuh, about one hour from Bukittinggi is well known as home of Minangkabau traditional snacks and dessert production. Fulfill your food adventure desire by tasting the various local products as well as exploring and discover the way to make it. Besides this town is also highly appreciated for some eco wickerwork products. Discover the unique production process and the materials used. Before that, we will visit a stone musical instrument, “Talempong Batu”, a percussion instrument made of stone. Lunch will be at local restaurant. “Daun Kawa”, Tea-Coffee Breaks will be provided enroute. This is a special beverage recipe created by native coffee farmers forbidden to taste coffee during colonization. Dinner at Hotel.
Day 5: Brown Sugar and Important Ingredients (BLD)
Early morning check-out. In the hills surrounding Matur, you’ll discover a unique local wisdom related to farming and some food productions. Discover how elders in the past established an eco farming and human-animal collaborative work to produce “brown sugar”. An important and influencing ingredients on Minangkabau snack and dessert. Still somewhere, nature painting of primeval volcano that is the beauty of Lake Maninjau seen from atop a hill. Lunch enroute at a local restaurant. Then we’ll check in at “Rumah Gadang”, a Minangkabau unique architecture of a typical custom house in a countryside in the heart of West Sumatra. Welcome and enjoy the atmosphere in a cultural village of the largest matrilineal community. Here, we’ll experience how people prepare meal for formal reception or ceremony. It’s fun as you will get Minangkabau dress code, if you are a group of travelers, you will have your own role in this reception setting. “Bajamba” dinner, a ceremonial dinner custom in the mainland of West Sumatra.
Day 6: Rendang and Minangkabau Dessert Cooking Class (BLD)
Beginning day 5, get a country side living experience: “Rumah Gadang’s room” (a communal base/ no single supplement), discover a unique local wisdom to the economiy, source of local community to keep sustainable environment, experience their morning daily activities. Then experience small town/village market exploration, here you will learn completely the cooking style, ingredients, and cultural philosophy behind the creation of world’s most delicious food named “Rendang” from where it was originally from, in this ancient land of Minangkabau. Your own cook lunch. In the afternoon we’ll also follow another cooking class about “Minangkabau Dessert”. After Dinner with another selective traditional delicious food, we’ll see a matrilineal art performance from our local fellows.
Day 7 : Culture at Ancient Land (BLD)
Day 7: Farewell Breakfast with our local hosts and Check out. Today, we will explore a royal icon of Minangkabau people, “Pagaruyuang Palace” and then see + 400 years ancient cultural typical house of Minangkabau. Lunch will be provided in a local Restaurant who still keeps culturally a unique way on providing meals to the guests. Discover how craft workers produce a typical custom musical instrument made of buffalo horn and bamboo. Possibly early Dinner enroute with the most delicious Minangkabau Meat Barbeque (Sate). Continue drive to Padang about + 1,5 hours. Possibly late check in at comfortable hotel.
Day 8: Culture Influence to Menu (BLD)
By walking from hotel, explore main bursting market of West Sumatra capital city with our local chef. A colorful style public transportation will transfer us and any ingredients needed for traditional desserts cooking learning in chef’s house. Discover what is behind “Katan Sarikayo” and “Kue Talam”. Then, discover non-Indonesian menu that influenced Indonesian recipe from a local restaurant where we’ll take our lunch. Padang Old Town historical tour, a combination of walk and cultural horse cart ride that will end with “Coconut Break” with your own cooking dessert at Sunset facing the Indian Ocean. Dinner will be at Padang Street Food Court where you can choose a dinner menu from various outlets here.
Day 9 : Gastronomes Sharing (BLD)
Lazy Time until 10.00 am; enjoy the hotel pools facility or other hotel facilities. Attend Your Photo Exhibition in West Sumatra Cultural Office. Those pictures will be donated to this government office, thus, your master piece will be displayed in the gallery of this government official building. Our lunch today is “Soto Padang” in a family restaurant that has served guests for about 50 years. Continue to see daily life of Padang City, a city with traditions and developing modern atmosphere. Farewell dinner with special cultural art performance ending with broken glass dancing.
Day 10 : Airport Transfer - Sampai Jumpa (B)
Free program at your own leisure until airport transfer or continue with the next program.
- 2.5% will be donated to support Green Tourism Institute to educate and advocate West Sumatra local community about “sustainable tourism”.
- Small Group Trip (Maximum 16 Pax).
- In Rumah Gadang, a “Local Communal Residence”: you’ll face and deal with standard condition.
- In Rumah Gadang, you’ll get clean communal facilities (each rumah Gadang usually has 3-4 toilets/bath rooms)
- In local residence our team will manage and advise about rubbish handling.
- In Rumah Gadang you’ll get twin/triple/communal/dorm share of room with single bedding (no single supplement available)
- The trip’s purpose is to maintain, introduce, experience culture and how locals live from seen from this Gastronomey journey, expecting that local people will keep their culture as man outsiders are interested in seeing and recognizing it deeper. Through the journey, tourists are encouraged to support and develop this part of the world as destination for peace and mutual respect.
- This is an open trip, you will join other travelers from around the world.
- Special private trip or out of the schedule please contact us.
- For Women don’t forget to bring your “knee length” dresses/clothes (in certain places you have to wear it).
- Some routes are in remote areas, away from tourist trails and most activities directly deal with local people. Our guides will brief about appropriate behavior, both culturally and environmentally
- Everyday choose one of your picture/photo to be submitted to our guide. All collected pictures will be exhibited in West Sumatra.
- Don’t worry about West Sumatra menu, even if this Province is well known for its spicy food there are many alternatives that meet the foreigners taste.
- Bring your own repellent/mosquito spray and private medicine.
- For any force majeure situation, operator will change the route/activities to similar ones.
- Trip starts and ends at Padang (West Sumatra-Indonesia)
- Above price is a starting price based on 2 pax and twin share room (the more pax join and directly confirmed, there will be a significant price adjustment).
4 Nights B&B at Bukittinggi (4-star hotel)
2 Nights at “Rumah Gadang”, a local communal house (standard - no single supplement)
3 Nights B&B at Padang (4-star hotel).
*Single Supplement only for Hotel (+ € 166 / $ 187)
Meals as stated in program detail (9X dinner, 8X lunch, 9X breakfast)
* Please inform us for any dietary or vegetarian requirement
- Tour Design.
- 9 Night Accommodation as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Meals as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information + Mineral Water.
- Comfortable Tourist Transportation (adjusted to number of travelers).
- Experience Local Transport on certain occasions.
- Licensed English-Speaking Guide.
- Tour Crews (Local Chef, Logistic, Videographer & Photographer)
- Donation to Green Tourism Institute and certification as Green Friend of Indonesia.
- All Entrance Fee, donations to local community, cooking class and other activities fee.
- Private Cultural Performances at Farewell Dinner
- CD Documentation
- International Flight Ticket
- All Personal Expense or Anything out of Inclusions
- Tipping (Please contact us for suggestion)