SBY 14 - 7 Day West Sumatra Journey of Discovery
Program Details & Highlights
Understanding of new/unfamiliar ideas, concepts, beliefs, etc.
Connecting new learning knowledge to existing/acquired knowledge.
Shows appreciation and respect to another groups of people/cultures.
Sense of care and respect to community and environment.
Awareness and sense of social issues and sustainable environment.
Realizing own strengths and weaknesses.
Shows self-reliance, self-confidence, leadership capability, solving problem ability, effective communication, and effective cooperation.
West Sumatra Journey of Discovery is a specially designed journey program to strengthen school curriculum. The journey is aimed to introduce students the connectivity of different subjects and the world reality. It will be held through experiential learning; students will be directly involved on: the way of life/ sharing cultural and local wisdom value, mutual respect, social activities, sustainable environment activities, field practice of interdisciplinary unit of school subjects, and build self-reliance, self-confidence, leadership capability, solving problem ability, effective communication, and effective cooperation through activities, assigment & performance. At the same time participants will enjoy the amazing panoramic West Sumatra landscape as well as unique different culture of Minangkabau people. This memorable journey are in cooperation with Green Tourism Institute to encourage students to take a part to “protect the culture”, “protect the nature”, “empower and bring benefit to local people” and “support the conservation”.
Day by Day SBY 14 - 7 Day West Sumatra Journey of Discovery
Day 1: Selamat Datang - Arrival in Minangkabau International Airport (LD)
Welcome to Padang, West Sumatra. Meet and greet + Baggage Clearance. Drive + 2.5 hours to Hotel in Bukitinggi. But enroute, there will be some stops: Anai Waterfall, a charachter of “Pacific Ring Fire”. Talk about Minangkabau Culture in the Information Center of Minangkabau Documentation and Culture. Lunch at local restaurant. Check in and enjoy the hotel facilities. At dinner time, there will be a program orientation.
Day 2: Bukittinggi-Agam (BLD)
Enjoying beautiful morning of Sianok Canyon and discover the unique earth formation in this West Sumatra geopark site. Then, meet an inspiring lady that manages to run organic coffee business which becomes an international tourist destination. She became role model for “luwak coffee”production without breeding “luwak”/chivet cat but encouraging coffee farmers to collect the excrement of chivet cat that contain coffee shell to be selling to her. After visiting an iconic historical landmark called “Jam Gadang” (Bukittinggi clock tower), we explore bursting market nearby and buy some gifts as our preparation to visit orphanage tomorrow. Enroute lunch and hotel dinner.
Day 3: Agam-Tanah Datar (BLD)
Check out. Ecology Study from local wisdom of village around Matur and getting to know about the creation of beautiful lake maninjau. Continue with moment of sharing with orphans and lunch together with our special friends. Driving about 1.5 hours to the ancient land of Minangkabau, the world’s largest matrilineal society. Check in and enjoy Living at Rumah Gadang (a typical authentic Minangkabau House). To learn about Minangkabau architecture and culture of Minangkabau village. In the evening Experience “Makan Bajamba, a ceremonial dinner ala Minangkabau.
Day 4: Tanah Datar (BLD)
After village breakfast with our host, Half day, you will experience daily local activities in this village, cooking, farming, and fishing in the lake (you will be divided into 3 groups). Find a sustainable local wisdom from this village. Lunch and break for a while. Early afternoon, we will experience about weaving and carving from local experts and discover the philosophy behind Minangkabau art. After dinner, learning and practice about Silat (martial art) and Randai (folk theatre tradition) that will be performed at farewell dinner in Padang.
Day 5: Tanah Datar - Pariaman - Padang (BLD)
Check out. After 2.5 hours drive to Pariaman, Study about Marine Life with Green Tourism Institute, learn Sea Turtle Conservation, experience the conservation officer activities, do coral replanting, sea turtle release. and planting mangrove. (Lunch will be provided with lunch box in the conservation area). But before that we will experience and discover about coastal life community. Drive to Padang about 1.5 hours and late check in at hotel in Padang.
Day 6: Padang Challenge (BLD)
The experiential learning begins (capacity building for students about leadership, problem solving, effective cooperation, effective communication, and self confidence). Every group will compete with each other and they will be given tasks and assignments by the game master. One of the assignments is they will be asked to make a green school. After that each group will be challenged to make a performance for farewell party. Farewel dinner with spectacular cultural show ended by a lady dancing on broken glass.
Day 7: Airport Transfer - Sampai Jumpa (B)
Free at your own leisure until airport transfer.
- 2.5% will be donated to support Green Tourism Institute to educate and advocate West Sumatra local community about “sustainable tourism”.
- In Rumah Gadang, a “Local Communal Residence”: you’ll face and deal with standard condition.
- In Rumah Gadang, you’ll get clean communal facilities (each rumah Gadang usually has 3-4 toilets/bathrooms)
- In local residence our team will manage and advise about rubbish handling.
- In Rumah Gadang you’ll get twin/triple/communal/dorm share of room with single bedding (no single supplement available)
- The trip’s purpose is to experience culture and how locals live the life from a journey, expected that local people will get culture sharing in order to maintain the good things from their side as many outsiders are interested to see and recognizing it deeper. Besides, tourists are encouraged to support and develop a part of this world as destination for peace and mutual respect. As well as to cultural sharing about the good life.
- The routes are in remote areas, away from tourist trails and most activities directly deal with local people. Our guides will brief about appropriate behavior, both culturally and environmentally.
- For non restaurant, don’t worry about meals, we provide in our team a “chef”supported by locals. Also about West Sumatra menu, even if this Province is well known for its spicy food there are many alternatives that meet the foreigners’ taste.
- Bring your own repellent/mosquito spray, and private medicine.
- For any force majeure situation, operator will change the route/ activities to similar ones.
- Trip starts and ends at Padang (West Sumatra-Indonesia)
- Above price is per pax and for a minimum 20 pax and twin share room.
2 Nights at Bukittinggi (4 star hotel)
2 Nights at “Rumah Gadang”, a local comunal house (standard - no single supplement)
2 Night at Padang (4 star hotel)
*Single Supplement only for Hotel (+ US$ 95)
Meals as stated in program detail (6X dinner, 6X lunch, 6X breakfast)
* Please inform us for any dietary or vegetarian requirements.
- Program Design.
- 6 Night Accommodation as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Meals as in “Accommodation & Meals” Information.
- Comfortable Tourist Transportation (adjusted to number of pax).
- Expert in some activities.
- Licensed English Speaking Guide.
- Tour Crews (Logistic, Videographer & Photographer)
- Donation to Green Tourism Institute and certification as Green Friend of Indonesia.
- All Entrance Fees, donations to local community and activities fee.
- Private Cultural Performances at Farewell Dinner
- CD Documentation
- International Flight Ticket
- All Personal Expenses or Anything out of Inclusions
- Tipping (Please contact us for suggestion)